Noodles Chicken and Vegetables… a delicious combination. This week Smarty Marty is cooking up Lasagna utilizing chicken tenderloins and fresh vegetables. To get started with this dish we need to gather up the following ingredients.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2cups very thin bite-size carrot strips
- 1cup chopped onion (1 large)
- 4cloves garlic, minced
- 14 – 16ounces frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- 12ounces shredded cooked chicken breast
- 3cups fat-free milk
- 9tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2teaspoons salt
- 1/2teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4cup snipped fresh basil
- 115 ounce carton fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese (4 ounces)
- 12no-boil lasagna noodles (about 8 ounces)
- 1cup whole wheat panko (Japanese-style bread crumbs)
- 1/4cup grated Parmesan cheese (1 ounce)
Cooking up the tenderloins on the stove top
Chopping up the fresh vegetables and the cooked chicken
- Lightly coat a 3-quart rectangular baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat, swirling to coat the bottom of the skillet. Add carrots, onion, and garlic; cook about 6 minutes or until softened, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Stir in broccoli and chicken; set aside.
- For sauce, in a large saucepan whisk together milk and flour. Add broth, salt, and pepper, whisking until smooth. Bring to boiling over medium-high heat, whisking constantly. Boil about 1 minute or until slightly thickened, whisking constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in basil. Set aside.
- In a small bowl stir together ricotta cheese and mozzarella cheese.
- Spread 1 cup of the sauce in the prepared baking dish. Arrange three of the lasagna noodles crosswise over the sauce in baking dish. Spoon another 1 cup of the sauce over the noodles, spreading evenly. Dot with one-third of the ricotta mixture, then one-third of the chicken mixture. Repeat layers twice. Top with the remaining three lasagna noodles. Spread the remaining sauce over the top. Cover baking dish with foil. Cover and chill for at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Bake, covered, for 1-1/2 hours. Remove foil. Bake for 30 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl stir together panko and Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle panko mixture over lasagna. Drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Bake, uncovered, about 5 minutes more or until the top is lightly browned. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Preparing to bake in the oven
Food Styled and Prepared By Smarty Marty
Recipe By – www.bhg.com
Atlanta Based Photography Elisha Akram (Kustom Kreation Photography) weekly food/recipe contributor Smarty Marty(My Older Sister) combines her love for cooking, photography and plating meals each and every Tuesday for this Segment entitled Foodie Tuesday. Join us each week for a variety of dishes prepared by Smarty Marty