Smarty Marty Stirs up the pot this week with her take on delicious Jamaican Chicken Soup!
Let’s prepare ourself by gathering up the fresh ingredients needed for this Foodie Idea of the Week
You are going to need the following ingredients
½ Chicken (cut in 8 pieces)
2 sprig Thyme
1 tbsp Salt
1 stalk escallion
4 Pimento Berries (Allspice)
½ lb Yellow Yam
2 Irish Potatoes
2 lb. Pumpkin (cut up into 1 inch pieces)
1 Cho-cho (Christophine) (cut up into 1 inch pieces)
1 pk Jamaican Chicken Noodle or Cock Soup
1 oz. Butter
1. In a stock pot, add three quarts of water and then add salt to taste. Bring water to a boil then add chicken, pumpkin, and cho-cho together. Boil for 30 minutes.
2. Peel the skins off the yellow yam and potatoes and wash these root vegetables in cold water to remove the dirt.
3. Cut each vegetable into four slices and then add them to the pot.
Special tip: – You man add spinners (small dumplings) to the soup at this time if you wish.
4. The flame should be turned to high at this point and allow to boil for 15 minutes.
5. Add the remaining ingredients to the pot, turn the flame down to medium, and cook for another 10 minutes, then simmer for another 5 minutes.
6. Check the yellow yam to ensure that it is soft. If not, cook until it becomes soft but not mushy.
Cook’s tip: You can speed up the time to prepare this chicken soup by slicing the yellow yam into thinner slices.
Photos and Food Preparation and Styling By Smarty Marty
Recipe By – http://www.jamaica-land-we-love.com